Friday 27 May 2011

Hover jumps? Leaps? Over-2-3s...

I just recieved a comment from IDMer spirit of the gael who asked me such a good question I thought I should post my response on here too for anyone else with the same problem. Thanks Spirit of the gael!

Spirit of the gael asked me how to do what she called hang leaps. I'm going to presume that this is what I would call a hover leap (methinks we need a cross-organisation/school Irish Dancing dictionary) and so here is my 3 step plan for mastering them.

Step 1: Learn how to do a leap.
If you don't know how to do one this article probably isn't for you, I'd recommend practicing the basic steps you do know because you need to have perfect basics before you can start learning the more difficult stuff. (Precision makes World Champions.)

Step 2: Learn how to go UP.
By this I'm not suggesting you don't know how to jump, but you're probably (albeit more than likely unknowingly) used to going forwards to cover distance as opposed to going straight UP. How I train myself is to get a small stack of boxes/one medium/large box and put it on a stable surface and try to clear it in one jump, giving myself a good run-up of course. Try not to be scared of tripping over it because then you more than likely will trip over it due to hesitancy. Worst injury you'll get from this is probably a bruise if you keep your wits about you and trust in yourself that you have the ability to make the jump.  Work your way up from a low height (which you could clear without even trying) to a more challenging one which you would find difficult to reach. Remember that the leg you bring up at the start of the jump must be as high as you want to go. If you've ever heard people tell you that the direction your head faces is where you will follow can be applied to this too, the higher you kick your front leg, the higher the rest of you is likely to go.

Step 3: Learn to hold it.
A girl I knew used to drink a lot before dancing so that she'd cross her legs tighter from needing to use the toilet on stage. I am not recommending this as a way to keep your legs nicely crossed, because I always thought it was a bit risky (not to mention distracting) but the same rules apply. As you tense your thigh muscles when clenching your legs together so too must you do it now. In order to hold your legs in position lock your thigh muscles when you reach the peak of your leap, this will hold you in position and give the appearance of hovering in the air. Then after a second or two quickly move your legs to land. Simple as that. (Well, at least it will look that way.)

Hope this helps you all, and thanks again Spirit of the gael for the question!

No comments:

Post a Comment