Saturday 18 June 2011

Bun Wigs vs Big Wigs

The great debate. Which would you vote for? Personally I'm going to outline some of the pros and cons of each wig here along with a few pics of the ones I think look best.  
(Click on the photos to be linked to the websites you can buy them from; Celtic Creations is offering free shipping to the USA at the moment!)

The Bun Wig
I remember bun wigs being all the rage when I was about 12 or 13 so a good 6 or 7 years ago, but whilst they're not as much of a craze now it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be popular. Particularly for younger dancers the bun wig keeps hair away from your face, looks very neat and tidy and doesn't swamp your head by being so big it makes your head look tiny, which can be a risk of wearing a full head wig. I know my teacher prefers them to the full head wigs at least on the younger girls. I personally love the Celtic Creations Caitlyn bun wig, which uses the pattern of the Caitlyn wig (also one of my fave full head wigs, coincidentally) to create a softer, more natural looking bun wig that looks great on an older dancer.

Photo from Celtic Creations
Equally the Lucy bun wig from Camelia Rose gives an interesting new look, creating an almost beehive style which mimics the trend for using "bumpits" to create miniature beehives in everyday wear. I think it's worth a look if you're looking for something new...

Photo from Camelia Rose

However, if you're looking for a more traditional bun wig, you can't fault the Camelia Rose Ciara wig, which has the tight ringlets which are tried and tested, having been worn by hundreds of dancers including myself for years.


Photo from Camelia Rose

The Big Wig
Well the big wig is arguably the most popular at the moment; the bigger the better. I know a lot of girls believe that a large wig is necessary for stage presence when in championships, not entirely sure they've got it right though as the larger the wig is the more it's going to weigh you down and the more it's going to drag you back. If you feel strong enough to carry around the weight of a large wig on stage whilst still looking as effortless as you want, then by all means go ahead, but I would recommend a medium-length as opposed to a long-length fuller wig in general. When worn with the right accessories a big wig can look very flattering on dancers of any age, and different wigs suit different age ranges. For example, I personally am not a fan of the smaller, tighter "frankfurter curls" as we sometimes call them here because I believe they look too artificial and rag-dolly, but I know they suit a young girl better than an older one and are an ideal choice for an open dancer between the ages of 10 and 13 when they have smaller faces. An example of this kind of wig is the Celtic Creations Alana wig below.

Photo from Celtic Creations
However, for older dancers I am more of a fan of wigs such as the Caitlyn by Celtic Creations which is a fuller, split-curl wig which gives soft lush curls that look very delicate and pretty. It can be quite ''big''  though so I would recommend trying it on first if you have a small or narrow face.

Photo from Celtic Creations
If you're looking for a more ultimately natural look, however, but do not have the sort of hair that will hold a curl, I would recommend Camelia Rose's new Sinead wig. This wig has large soft looking curls that look like the sort you would achieve with magik wands or bendy rollers so it's going back to basics without the pain of sleeping in rollers all night the night before a feis. Unfortunately it's only available in blonde at the moment, but I think it's definitely one to watch especially for older and more mature dancers who are past the age for huge wigs and tons of glitter.
Photo from Camelia Rose
So, which would you choose? Post comments below on your favoured type of wig and we'll see if we can figure out once and for all the Ultimate Wig.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Celtic Curls' Alana bun. It doesn't have any curls on it, which I like- it looks prettier that way, if you ask me!

    As far as big wigs go, I LOVE their new Maggie Senior and Emerald Key's Tori, Maeve, and Maeve Senior. The Sinead is pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use need to use thermal styling tools on a daily basis in order to have a decent hairstyle? B-What have damaged the hair of my full lace wig? Human hair is composed primarily of proteins Best Lace front wigs

    ReplyDelete